About Me

My photo
I have been teaching English for 15 years. My educational credentials include a Ph.D. in learning technologies and an M.A. in English & American literature. I wouldn’t say I am a workaholic, but I am, no doubt, devoted to my work. For me, there are always things to do and to learn. I can never understand why some people would say they are ‘bored’. When I am not working, most of my time is spent reading and chatting with my husband. My husband has a lot in common with me. We both are, I would like to believe, intellectual and fun to be with. We are planning to add a member to our family soon – a cat!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tricky problems

It was rather interesting to see the result of students' choices of the trickiest relationship problem. I picked the three letters for two reasons: one was that they were well written; the other was my curiosity to know whether there were cultural differences in people’s views on these issues. I had a hunch there were. Men not wanting to commit has already been more of a Western issue. I actually think most Taiwanese men are too ready to commit. I was only wondering if the new generation is the same. As for the worry about starting a relationship with a new roommate too soon (‘crushin’), as I had expected, got very few votes. It may receive more votes from Western students.


The result of the poll also shows a strong gender difference. Silly me! How could I not predict this? This is such a pleasant surprise, as my plan for next week will follow on nicely from it.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Rainbow!

    Actually, the writing of “crushin” was so strange that I couldn’t get any idea of it. Then I chose to look on the logical side of other two questions.

    Can’t wait to know what your point of view is in next Wednesday! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange,
    You meant the idea behind 'crushin', not the language the author used, was strange, I reckon?

    If a concept did not exist in our culture, it would be hard for us to comprehend it. This might just be why you found the letter differences. I don't know if we'll have time to discuss this issue in depth next week, but in case we don't, discussions are always open here :)

    Read the letter again and I'd like to hear what you think too.

    ReplyDelete